Saturday, April 14, 2012

Time Will Tell

Alright, this week in the lab, I started Iguana 2. As expected, it was very similar to the first iguana except for the fact that it was much smaller. This is a little ... off putting. Things don't look much different, but they are much smaller and this makes things slightly more difficult to find. The muscles thus far have weighed about half as much as the first iguana, which makes sense as the lizard is about half as big. Overall, not much to say. 

I'd also like to brief everyone on the changes to my project. Due to the time it took to dissect the first iguana as well as the shortness of time in general, the goals of the project have been modified. As you may have guessed, I am no longer working with anoles at all, as my original proposal suggested. The anoles are significantly smaller than the iguanas and it was easier for me to begin on a larger animal. Though I did have dissection experience prior to this project, I have never done something this in depth and hence was a little unprepared. I will also not be comparing the iguanas to any other lizards. Time just became too short, and it was only practical to dissect two lizards. I will instead be comparing the iguanas to mammals that are well documented - pigs and cats mainly. Lizard musculature differs from these mammals due to their habitat (trees and beaches), their posture (sprawling), and the fact that they are not mammals. I think it's a pretty cool comparison. 

AA

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this update! The reason for the changes make a lot of sense. I'm looking forward to the new comparison.

    ReplyDelete