Friday, January 20, 2012

Pictures of Ethics

As I mentioned, Anoles went through a diversification process
similar to Darwin's finches. This ground anole lives, obviously
on the ground in Panama. 
Okay, so I was going to respond to Dr. Ferszt's comment with another comment, until I realized my comment was like a page in length. I also think the questions posed are important to the project, as well as to the field of science as a whole. Ethically, I think there are two issues. The first is in relation to the lizards themselves, and their use in research. This is something that I think all researchers have to come to terms with. Unfortunately, animal research is required, and this often results in harm coming to the animals. 

Another species, the slender anole, is one of the most prevalent
species, and lives in the forest understory.


     The other issue involves the research itself. If it proves successful, we will have the ability to re-grow human limbs. While this sounds beneficial on the surface, it does come with some ramifications. The first of which are its military uses. In the field, it would be extremely useful for injured soldiers to be able to heal themselves without the presence of a medic. But, if the technology was manipulated to allow for stronger, faster soldiers, there is of course the question of whether humans should exploit nature to make themselves better. As with most genetic research, the possibility of misuse is high. If all of sudden soldiers are made faster, stronger, and without conscience, you have an issue. This then begs the question of whether scientists have a responsibility to consider the ethical ramifications of their findings or whether they should push science to its fullest extent. This forms the basis for one of the schisms in the scientific community. 

This anole is also seen in much of Panama, and has an
oddly appropriate name. 
So, there are definitely ethical issues involved in science as a whole. I think all researchers have to find the line they're not willing to cross, on their own. For me, I do not object to animal research, as long as the animals are treated in a humane manner. However, I have not determined where I fall when it comes to genetic research. There is a part of me that says humans really shouldn't mess with nature, even if it means that people are still going to die from cancer and Huntington's. But then I think about if my sister had cancer, I would do everything in my power to save her. I guess that is really what I want to spend the rest of my life figuring out — the ethics of biology.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, the ability to regrow human limbs would be a massive advancement in medical science (even at the cost of Innocent Anole lives) I cannot wait to hear more about this research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting ethical dilemma you have encountered. I share your concerns.

    ReplyDelete